Find Listings in this County
Buckingham County is a rural county in the heart of central Virginia. As of the 2010 census, the county had 17,146 residents living within 584 square miles. Most of the county consists of privately owned farmland.
The county was incorporated in 1761 and split off at that time from Albemarle County. The borders of the county changed over the following century until they were finally settled in 1860. The original courthouse was designed by Thomas Jefferson, but fire destroyed it in 1869. Although the county’s early records were lost in the fire, many families in the area still live on land their ancestors cultivated and can trace their roots to the Colonial period.
General Robert E. Lee and the Confederate Army marched through Buckingham County on the way to Appomattox Court House, where they eventually surrendered to the Union Army. The cemetery at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Buckingham County bears a marker remembering 45 soldiers from both armies who died en route and were buried in the churchyard.
Agriculture has remained Buckingham’s primary industry for over three centuries. First, plantations worked by slaves grew tobacco in the rich clay soil. As the soil became depleted, mixed farms and hardwood plantings replaced tobacco. Today many tracts of land are owned by Westvaco, a lumber company, and planted with loblolly pine and mixed forests for the paper industry.